5.13.2009

Reading is Good...

This is a photo of some of my very favorite books. Most of them are written by Indian authors and are about Indian culture but there are a few based in Pakistan & Afghanistan. I love reading books based on Indian culture because I learn so much from every page. Because I was adopted I don't have any biological information or medical history. This doesn't create a void in my life but has stirred some curiosities from within. I've learned so much about my history by learning about the country and city from which I came. When you know your biological family you don't question why your hair is blond or your eyes are blue...most of the time you can look to family members and see exactly why you're tall or short or athletic or not. This is not a luxury I've ever had. Someday I will be a mom and I will know the joy of seeing yourself in someone else...I can't imagine how incredible that will be. Below are a few things I've learned about myself and my culture through reading my Indian books...

*Because of the area where I was born I am known as a Bengali
*Bengali's are known for their shiny, black hair
*Bengali's are known for being petite
*Bengali's are known for their beautiful singing voices
*Bengali's are known for their big, dark eyes
*Bengali's are known for having a fear of being cold

When I found out about these 5 main features of Bengali's I was overwhelmed. This is the reason I continue to read and read and read. Peace. Comfort. Knowledge.

2 comments:

  1. WOW...not a stretch at all! The 5 main features are YOU! You are truly beautiful!

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 time I have read this post.....still amazing. Enjoy the process!

    ReplyDelete