5.12.2009

From Hate to Love...

In the last 29+ years I have become, what you might call, Americanized. Actually, seeing as I only spent the first 3 months of my life in India, maybe I was never "Indian-ized"...maybe no transformation took place the way it does for those who immigrate at a more established age? None the less, I am Indian by heritage. Statistically, in Calcutta in 1980, only 1 out of 10 girls born would live to be 1 year.
1.
Out of 10.
Unbelievable.
I am so grateful to have grown up here. My intention is not to be dramatic or arrogant. My intention is to express the deep level of humility and appreciation that comes with, not only, surviving impossible conditions but also being blessed with a remarkable family and growing up in a country with limitless opportunities. This is how I feel today but I didn't always feel this way. For most of my younger years, I struggled with being different from everyone else I knew...being a different color, having a different name, having a different history...etc. All of my family looked alike. I stood out like a sore, brown thumb ;) I was told how incredible my story was...how blessed I was to be alive, how grateful I should be. I had such a great upbringing and wouldn't want it any other way but most kids don't want to be unique. Most kids want to match...blend in. Blending in is not something I did well.
I've changed. These days I want to declare to the world that I am Indian!! You could say I've gone from hate to love with regards to my Indian-ness. The Lord has worked on my heart and helped me to realize how important ones heritage is. Within the last year I have been indulging in Indian books, movies, articles, clothing, jewelry and food. I'm getting a late start in understanding my Indian culture but I plan to learn all that I can. ...r...

1 comment:

  1. The true value of a gift or a gesture can only be determined by the person who receives it.

    Seeing a gratefully and joyous heart will bring tears to the best of us.
    I pray that you bring back a bucket full of tears to share with us from India.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete